Saturday, January 23, 2010

Crazy Quilt


After years of quilting I've collected allot of fabric in various amounts. My inability to throw away a good piece of fabric, no matter how small, left me in a quandry of what to do to tame my ever increasing stash. The solution was a Crazy Quilt. With enthusiasm to get started, I went to work on what was sure to be a quick, easy project that would solve all my problems. Precious fabric would be used up and my storage problems solved. I sorted my fabric in a very scientific manner: Chickens (yes, I have lots of chicken fabric so this had to be a separate catagory), large pieces, medium pieces, small pieces and those too small to do much with pieces. The to small to do much with went into a small plastic bin. The entire quilt top had to come from that bin and no other fabric was to be included. I have never made a crazy quilt, but how hard can it be? Cut up fabric, sew back together, layer, quilt, bind and in no time at all you have a new quilt. I now know why this is called a crazy quilt. One must be crazy to start on such a project. I am not sure if I went about it the right way but, two years later, I am still working on this quick and easy project. I have 20 more inches to add to the length and I will probably add some kind of border and call this quilt top done. Final size will be around 80 inches wide by 100 inches long. The picture shows the project as it is now. I hope to have it done in a few weeks and be ready to quilt it this Summer.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is impressive! How are you going to attach the top to the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will layer a backing of cotton fabric and in the center a piece of Warm and Natural Batting (my favorite brand of batting). I will pin the layers together then start on one corner and hand quilt the entire thing, one quilt hoop at a time. Will take awhile but the end results is worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I am a southern woman with a country heart. I am fortunate to live in West Tennessee during the Summer months and South Florida in the Winter. My heart is in the simple life of country living. I look forward to Spring each year when I can return to cotton farming country of West Tennessee. My hobby and passion is sewing, quilting and creating art in pencil, ink and watercolor.